Apple’s Big Letdown: The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus

Apple’s Big Letdown: The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus

According to the latest Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) report, Apple’s iPhone 15 Pro models were the best-selling smartphones in the United States in the first quarter of this year. The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max accounted for 22% and 23% of all iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2024, respectively, totaling a 45% share. While the iPhone 15 Plus had a 9% share of all iPhones sold, the iPhone 15 and iPhone 14 each accounted for 14%, making them the third most popular iPhones.

The share of iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max remained almost unchanged compared to the same quarter a year ago, compared to the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max. However, Apple saw a decrease in sales of the base model iPhone 15 compared to a year ago. The overall mix of iPhone 15 models was lower, accounting for 68% of all iPhone sales.

On the other hand, in the first quarter of 2023, the iPhone 14 series had a 7% higher share of all iPhones sold and it was the total of 75%. The data showed that the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus were more popular than the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus in the same quarter of the previous year.

iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus

CIRP made the following comment regarding Apple’s Big Letdown:

“We see this as a continuation of a trend over the past few quarters where lower-priced current models have taken some share from older models. As the former flagship, today’s base iPhone 15, Pro, and Pro Max models take on this role, they are no longer the leading choices.”

Last week, CIRP published a report indicating that new iPhone activations have fallen to a level not seen in the US smartphone market in the past six years. CIRP said that Apple’s installed base of smartphones is higher than recorded activations, but the share of new iPhone activations for Apple has dropped from 40% to 33% over the past year, indicating a departure from the higher market shares Apple has had in previous years.


Comments - 0 COMMENT

No comments yet.